Anti-piracy ships on patrol off Somalia
I’m on the look-out for info about Special Ops or Boarding Party teams on board these ships. In the meantime, we know that there’s a Naval Spetznas team on board the Russian frigate and its probably safe to assume that most of these combat vessels have at least a Boarding Party team on board…
There are about two dozen warships at any one time on international anti-piracy patrols off the Horn of Africa. (not many when you consider te vastness of the area they have to cover)
The following ships are currently off Somalia:
The U.S.-led Combined Task Force 151 normally has about a dozen vessels on station off Somalia, but this number varies considerably. Its flagship, the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer, can carry up to 42 aircraft and about 1,800 Marines.
The NATO flotilla, known as Standing NATO Maritime Group 1, comprises 5 ships.
- Portuguese frigate NRP Corte Real, flotilla flagship
- Canadian frigate HMCS Winnipeg
- Dutch frigate HNLMS De Zeven Provincien
- Spanish frigate ESPS Blas de Lezo
- The frigate USS Halyburton
The European Union task force consists of 5 vessels:
- Spanish frigate SPS Numancia, the task force flagship
- Spanish fleet tanker SPS Marquis de la Ensenada
- French frigate FS Floreal
- German supply ship FGS Spessart
- German frigate Rheinland-Pfalz
Other forces contributing ships to the international anti-piracy patrols include the Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Russian and Japanese navies.