Aces High celebrates D-Day American paratroopers

Sainte-Mère-Église, Normandy, France

30th MAY – 7th JUNE 2009

To help commemorate the 65th anniversary of D-Day Aces High be exhibiting at Airborne Museum, Sainte-Mère-Église.  If you are visiting Normandy to take part in the celebrations, be sure to visit their display at the Airborne Museum in this historic location where US paratroopers of the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions landed during the early hours of D-Day.

aces high 477

Also, in commemoration of the 65th Anniversay of D-Day and to honour the men of the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions, Aces High have released a new print by Richard Taylor.  Entitled “Ste Mère-Église”, Richard’s detailed new drawing depicts the link-up between paratroops of the 82nd and a Sherman Firefly tank of an unidentified armoured unit.  Also depicted is the famous parachute of one of the 82nd troopers who got caught on the church steeple.

BAND OF BROTHERS at the UK Gallery

20th & 21st JUNE

In 1942, the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment was created at Camp Toccoa, Georgia, to train an elite Airborne Regiment who would bravely jump behind enemy lines as part of the Allied invasion of occupied Europe. During the early hours of D-Day 6th June 1944 these paratroopers spearheaded the attack on Normandy, with Easy Company of the 101st Airborne Division playing a vital role in this advance.

Fighting throughout Normandy, E. (“Easy”) Company were then assigned to Holland to support the British forces in Arnhem as part of Operation Market Garden.  A few months later the entire 101st Airborne Division fought a desperate defensive battle in the Ardennes forest on the Belgian-German border during the “Battle of the Bulge”.  In the spring of 1945, Easy Company charged south to the Bavarian Alps and captured Hitler’s “Eagles Nest” mountain HQ in Berchtesgaden.

Aces High UK will be joined for a special event on the 20th and 21st of June by the following veterans of Easy Company, 101st Airborne Division:

Corporal HERB ‘Jr’ SUERTH – 18 year old Herb Suerth enlisted as a volunteer for the Reserve Engineer Corps in November 1942, but after a change of heart in 1944 he was assigned to 101st Airborne Division, beginning the parachute school training in August that year. After final combat training in Holland, Herb was trucked into Bastogne in December 1944 during the Battle of the Bulge, also fighting in Foy. In January 1945 Herb was wounded by the artillery fire and his legs were severely injured but ultimately saved. As a result of these injuries Herb was shipped back to the US during April 1945.

Sergeant AMOS ‘Buck’ TAYLOR – Having worked in a factory making Sherman Tanks, Buck aided the war effort even further by becoming a Paratrooper and enlisted in July 1942 before being assigned to 3rd Platoon upon his arrival at Toccoa. When jumping into Europe on D-Day he was 2nd Squad Leader but having scattered on the jump, it was not until several days later that he joined up with the rest of the company, just prior to the attack on Carentan during which he was made 3rd Platoon Sergeant. At the Battle of the Bulge, when advancing from Bastogne to Foy, Buck was badly injured when shot in the leg which saw the end of his war spending 11months in hospital.

Colonel ED SHAMES – Enlisting in September 1942 at the age of 19, Ed Shames was to become one of the most respected officers in the 101st Airborne Division. A stickler for detail, he always got the job done, and brought his men home. Originally assigned to I Company in the 3rd Battalion of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment he was transferred to Headquarters Company receiving a battlefield commission during the taking of Carentan in Normandy. He joined Easy Company in July 1944 as a 2nd Lieutenant prior to
Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge.

Sergeant PAUL ROGERS – Aged 24, Paul Rogers volunteered to be a Paratrooper in 1942 and soon found himself at Toccoa training under Colonel Sink. When jumping into Europe on D-Day, Paul lost most of his equipment, including his rifle, and his parachute snagged on trees from which he had to cut himself loose; he later found out he had landed eight miles from the intended drop zone. With the 3rd Battalion he fought throughout Normandy but was injured when jumping into Holland as part of Operation Market Garden and subsequently spent four weeks in hospital. Upon rejoining the platoon he stayed with them all the way through to Hitler’s Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden.

aces high1464

This image depicts Robert Taylor’s painting of the 101st’s daylight drop into southern Holland during Operation Market-Garden.

For further details, visit the Aces High website:

About this entry